Melissas Paperie

Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh My Son



We are back from our big adventure in New York City! I thought I would share some photos and a bit about our weekend. My daughter, Kennedy, did feel better on Friday morning, so our whole family was able to go. We drove up Friday morning and checked into our hotel, Park Central. It was a nice hotel across the street from Carnegie and two blocks from Central Park, so it was very convenient for us. I had a rehearsal at St Patrick's Cathedral, the largest Catholic cathedral in America, that night.




The next morning we had breakfast at the Broadway Diner and walked to Central Park. The kids enjoyed the playground, climbing all the rocks, and watching for the horse-drawn carriages. After the Park we walked down to Times Square and then over to Rockefeller Center. Kennedy, my mom and I went into the American Girl store and Colin, my brother and my husband went to Nintendo World. Both kids got a fix of their favorite things: dolls and Wii!


Taking Central Park by storm!

I then headed off to the dress rehearsal at Carnegie. My mom and brother brought Colin into the rehearsal so he could see what it was all about. After the rehearsal we all went to grab dinner at the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien Hotel. Then it was time for the performance. My brother stayed with the kids at the hotel (Thank you Doug!!), and my mom and husband came to the performance. It was such an amazing experience to be a part of. My friends with whom I sing at Georgetown Presbyterian, Karla and Javier, had lead roles and they were so fabulous! I sang as a member of the chorus, which was the St. Patrick's Cathedral Choir along with a few members of another NY chuch choir and some people from the DC area.


I am the first person on the left that you can see in the middle row of the chorus.

If you are interested in reading more about the opera itself and the composer here are two links to articles: here and here . The composer, Marcos Galvany, is Spanish and the opera, Oh My Son, was written using his remembrances of Easter and Lenten celebrations from when he was growing up. It is such beautiful, lyrical music and I am still singing the songs today!

I feel so lucky to have had this experience and I hope that if Oh My Son is performed again in another locale that I might have the chance to sing with the chorus again.

I hope to be back soon with a card. Thanks for letting me share my experience with you!

12 comments:

Sue Ann said...

YEAH ....... I am so happy that it all worked out !! How many photos do I have from Central Park ..... oh how I wish we would not have been such a sick house ..... I would have loved to see the performance!!!

IamDerby said...

Wow Melissa that just sounds amazing! I am so glad you all got to go and enjoy yourselves!

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the update! Kennedy looks hysterical. I'm so glad you got to have such a great adventure.

Jen said...

So cool.... glad it was an AWESOME experience.

Dana said...

Melissa, you look SO pretty in that top photo! What a beautiful smile! I sounds like you all had a good experience and what an opportunity!

Nerina said...

Sounds like the most incredible experience - congratulations for being chosen to be a part of it!!

Diane Jaquay said...

How incredibly EXCITING it must have been to sing in Carnegie Hall! I'm glad you had a great weekend :)

Mara Campbell said...

wow, what an amazing weekend!! Thanks for sharing all the photos. It must have been so cool singing at Carnegie Hall!

Genevieve said...

Hi Melissa! Thank you for sharing with us! All sounds so exciting! I'd love to visit New York some day :)

Kenashu said...

How wonderful! What a great experience!

Anonymous said...

Oh Melissa!!! Carnegie Hall baby!!! That was so awesome to read about. Good blogging. I am so happy you got to do this. WOW! What an amazing once in a lifetime story - or maybe if your lucky it will happen more than once?? I hope so for your sake!!! I hope you get to do it again....That was really nice of Doug to watch the kids. WOW! I am so impressed and I am so excited that you got to do that. BIG HUGS to you. Carrie

Marcos Galvany said...

Thank you so much Melisa for being part of my show and participate on the premiere of my first Opera at Carnegie Hall. This was such an important moment for me.
Thank you so much for being there,
I was so moved by the performance.

We have to do it again,

Marcos Galvany